Question Totally Confused by .NET

juma929

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello,

I am an experienced PHP developer and have used the language for years. I am trying to make the move over to .NET and must say im completely confused by it.

I am looking for books to learn C# .net but everything seems to be ASP.NET in c# or vb. Now I thought ASP.NET, C#.NET and VB.NET were completely separate languages so im confused to find that ASP.NET is wrote in C# or VB :confused:

As I say, I wanted to originally learn C#.NET but im completely confused as to how to go about this. I have Visual Studio 2008 as I was provided with a full student licence of this as I am a university student.

Im hoping somebody in here can clarify the whole .NET confusion for me.

Thanks
:)

I am looking for books to learn C# .net
This is a VB.Net forum, for C# book suggestions you have to ask in a C# forum.
Now I thought ASP.NET, C#.NET and VB.NET were completely separate languages so im confused to find that ASP.NET is wrote in C# or VB
.Net applications can be written in several languages, including C++, C# or VB. These applications can be client applications like Winforms and Consoles and Windows services, or web server applications like ASP.Net and web services/WCF, there's also WPF applications that can be created both for client and web, and class libraries that can be used by all.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply but I wasnt asking a specific question about C#, I was focussing on .NET in general which is after all the topic ive posted this under, ".NET Framework".

So basically, ASP.NET isnt a "language" it is more of a product of certain code written in .NET to perform a certain action, serve web pages?

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your reply but I wasnt asking a specific question about C#, I was focussing on .NET in general which is after all the topic ive posted this under, ".NET Framework".

So basically, ASP.NET isnt a "language" it is more of a product of certain code written in .NET to perform a certain action, serve web pages?

Thanks

ASP.NET is more like an interface that can be coded by any .NET language (as far as I know so far it would mainly be VB.NET , C#.NET and C++.NET) same applies for other things such as Silverlight, XNA and so on.

Back