Total newbie question, moving from Classic ASP to ASP.net

NickC

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi guys,

I'm embarrassed to ask, but I feel like my legs have been cut off! I'm finally updating my skills and am learning ASP.NET. I'm using Visual Web Developer 2008 and really marvelling at all the great features. But all the things I could do in my sleep in Classic ASP are taking me some time to learn how to do in .NET

My background is Classic ASP and there are things that I am struggling to know how to do correctly in .NET. I am rebuilding one of my ASP sites in .NET to take advantage of the framework.

Here's an easy one:

In my website I check for a cookie whenever a page loads that stores a preference setting. In my old site, I stored all the code that needed to execute when any page loaded in a common file that I then pulled in as an include at the top of each page.

What is the correct way to structure this in .NET? Should I be calling the code that checks for this cookie from within the page load handler on each page, or is there another way to do it?

At this point, I dont want to use the .NET Profile system (just in case that makes a difference).

Many thanks in advance,

NickC

Back