ToolStrip Text Property = useless?

CygNuS

Programming Experience
Beginner
Here's the thing:
I have made a vertical Toolstrip (it looks like the outlook sidebar) filled with icons.
Now i would like to show the title of that ToolStrip, so i set the Text Property, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Is the ToolStrip text property useless or is some other property set wrong so the text doesn't display?

Just add a ToolStripLabel as the first item instead. Note that there are better ways to get that Outlook style. There are various freebies around that will replicate it pretty much 100%.

Thx for the alternative, and i'll check on ready-made outlook style-bars.

I guess the ToolStrip Text property really is useless then, oh well, can still use it to store a string then :)

ToolStrip itself doesnt have a text property; It is inherited from the Control object, an ancestor of ToolStrip.

I thought it did have a use, if only as a tooltip text.. But it remains that not all children of a component will have a use for the parent's attributes. I dont know if hiding them is possible but if it is not it would explain why it has been left

It's not possible to hide a public inherited member. I once thought that maybe you could shadow it with a private member but that doesn't work. You can't see the shadowing member from outside so the inherited member is not shadowed from the outside, only from the inside. They could have set the Browsable attribute to false so that it wasn't displayed in the Properties window though.

Ahh.. you faced the same problem I did recently.. I was convinced there was a way to reduce the visibility of a parent's member variable, but i couldnt find it..

Back