to combine windows app with ms report rdlc file

PRAISE PHS

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi All,

I developed a windows app with 7 forms in an mdi parent form. I also created a Microsoft report in the app for reporting. Then after deploying the app into a server, I noticed that displaying reports on the ms report viewer was not possible. The report viewer was displaying error message - could not find instance of the file C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Report.rdlc.

I resolved this issue by dropping the report.rdlc file on the server. That is, I then have both my windows app and the report file separately on the server's desktop.

My question then is, how do I make sure I have the report file inside my windows app during deployment. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

The report isn't "inside" the app, which is part of the problem. If you have added the RDLC file to the project then its Build Action property should be set to Content and Copy To Output Directory should be Copy Always or Copy If Newer. You then simply deploy both the RDLC file and the EXE from the output folder.

The report isn't "inside" the app, which is part of the problem. If you have added the RDLC file to the project then its Build Action property should be set to Content and Copy To Output Directory should be Copy Always or Copy If Newer. You then simply deploy both the RDLC file and the EXE from the output folder.

Thanks a lot Jim for this invaluable information. In other words, it means I would always have both the windows app and RDLC file on the server desktop. I'm right on this?.

Last edited:
Back