TIP: How to avoid a versioning gotcha that causes assembly load failures.

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
Once upon a time, I would set the AssemblyVersion attribute of all my apps to be 1.0.*
The IDE would fill in the version as it built the apps and everything was fine.. I didnt need to remember to keep changing versions etc.

I ran into a problem recently, where Program A uses DLL Y and DLL Z. DLLY also uses DLL Z.
Because A and Y build at different times, they would be linked to differently built versions of DLL Z, even though the two versions of DLL Z (for example 1.0.2669.20001 and 1.0.2669.20003) were code-wise identical they had different version numbers.

This meant that my apps were failing because Program A would load up, and use DLL Z. Then DLL Y would load and attempt to find a different version of DLL Z, and fail (because I wasnt including it, the idea of a shared library being that there arent hundreds of copies).

I only found this out while writing a custom AssemblyResolve handler for the odd cases I was getting where plugin DLLs used their own specific DLLs that werent being loaded (because the plugins directory isnt on the probe path and altering the probe path is a deprecated concept.)

If anyone else can think of some potential pitfalls of plugin architectures where the plugin dlls use a mix od their own and the main app's dlls, or each other, then let me know.. :D

Back