TCP/IP Client file receiving application

exsolo

Programming Experience
Beginner
This is a task for my coursework:
1.Write an application that will serve as a client side for a simple file transfer application over a network using Visual Basic.

Program provided/case description:
The server side of the application will be provided to you by your tutor. The server side application can send one predefined file to all clients connected to the server. On the server side you will be able to select a file to be sent to a client and will be able to start/stop the server. When started, the server will accept all incoming TCP requests to port 5000. In response the server will send the file name, the file size, and the content of the actual file (chosen when the server application was started) to the client.

Custom Protocol:
The format of the server response is shown below:

|File name length|File name|File length (size)| Actual file content

“File name length” will provide information on a file name size in bytes; “file name” field will contain a text string of the file name with extension on a server machine; “file length” will provide information on a file size in bytes; “actual file content” is a stream of file bytes. After the file transfer is finished, server closes the connection.

I can get a txt file from this server, but how can I get other information? And how can I download binary files?

Back