Question Table based "forms"

rajthampi

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello guys,
I am more familiar with oracle developer and recently started with VB.net (VS 2008). Would appreciate if somebody could provide me some information regarding the following:

I have an Oracle table consist of around 39 columns and want to create a data entry form against it using VB.net. This means when the focus is changed from one column to the other one(s), I need to do database level validations etc.

Questions are:
1. Is it possible to create data entry forms against existing tables?
2. If the above is possible, how I could establish the column level validations?

Thanks and regards,

rajthampi

Programming Experience
Beginner
Multiple validations

well, my first intention is to create a form against a table. For example, if i have a table "tableA" with 10 columns, instead of creating 10 textboxes with VB.net, I would prefer to refer to those table columns straight away for processes like entry/delete/update.

Validations would depend upon column level values. For example if the user enters a customer code, the validation popups with error messages stating whether the customer is valid, exceeded the credit limits etc.

Just as mentioned on top, my first requirement is to "generate" a form against tables (Exactly like in Oracle forms developer)

Thanks and regards,

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
read the DW2 link in my signature, section on Creating a Simple Data App

The tutorial is for access, but works for Oracle and SqlServer also

rajthampi

Programming Experience
Beginner
Exactly!!

Thank you very much cjard. I had my first VB.net course almost three years back and later was only concentrating on Oracle based developments. Your suggestion has provided me enough guidence and I am sure I would able to develop applications pretty easy now.

Regards,

rajthampi

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello Cjard
A final question related the above subject. I need to create a master detail form for my application. I already know how I could create a dataset and create the master form. Now I need a tabular format details entry area (Example, Invoice Screen, Customer receivables etc)
Is there a method using which I could accomplish this task? I have a reference column between Customer table and Customer_accounts_receivable tables (Customer_id)

I know some more googling would fetch me some results, however I would appreciate if you could suggest me the first steps

Regards,

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
the Creating A Simple Data App does, as i recall, include a master detail but there is a specific topic dedicated to it also in DW2, called "Displaying Related Data"

Top Bottom