Table Adapter’s Config. error for DB2 SQL statements containing a CASE expression.

mendezedd

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi: I am having a situation using .NET’s Table Adapter’s Configuration Wizard when designing DB2 SQL statements containing a CASE expression within it.

I was previously using the ODBC provider method for DB2; once I changed to the DB2 Provider for .NET every single Query that uses a CASE expression stopped parsing, so I am not able to modify or recreate them. I’m not even able to create new ones.

Sample Query:

SELECT ORGANIZATION_CODE,

CASE WHEN COUNTRY_CODE = 'NY' THEN 'NEW YORK'

WHEN COUNTRY_CODE = 'PR'THEN 'PUERTO RICO'

ELSE 'EXTERIOR'

END AS SOURCE

FROM SIUSER.HOLIDAYS_TABLE

If I eliminate de CASE Expression it would parse, execute and have no problem at all.

SELECT ORGANIZATION_CODE,

COUNTRY_CODE

FROM SIUSER.HOLIDAYS_TABLE

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!,

Best regards,

Eduardo

The fact that the Query Builder can't parse your SQL code doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. I can't speak for every case but I've added a query to a TableAdapter for Access containing:
VB.NET:
SELECT @@IDENTITY
It could not be parsed but it still worked.

RE:.NET's Query Builder can't parse DB2 SQL code

The fact that the Query Builder can't parse your SQL code doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work. I can't speak for every case but I've added a query to a TableAdapter for Access containing:
VB.NET:
SELECT @@IDENTITY
It could not be parsed but it still worked.

Hi jmcilhinney and thanks a lot for your answer. I agree with you that there are cases in which not parsing doesn’t necessary means that it won’t work or execute; a have even seen some of those cases before, and I am aware of it. However the situation that I have right now won’t let me finish creating the fill method, so when I try to retrieve those fill methods belonging to the implicated Table Adapter; they are not even accessible. So this is like being stock there. I really have no option right now to make them work.

Thanks again.

Any other suggestions from you as well as from any other participant will be strongly appreciated.

Eduardo.

Back