Storing Data in a database

bopo

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi People

Basically, I thought it would be interesting to learn how to store data into a MS Access database (as I have never implemented this before) I have looked at several programming websites, however they just talk about creating a database.

I have three textboxes, and I want the data within those three text boxes to be stored within a MS Access database.

Could anyone start me off?

Thanks.

lol, how can a walkthrough be confusing? Start at number 1, and do as it says.. Along the way you will learn how it works, how to do it, etc..

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and i will understand, involve me and I will learn" - Proverb

lol, how can a walkthrough be confusing? Start at number 1, and do as it says.. Along the way you will learn how it works, how to do it, etc..

"Tell me and I will forget, show me and i will understand, involve me and I will learn" - Proverb

Yeah, its my fault due to being a noob with databases, its confusing because it mentions datasets and data sources:confused: , im just using an Acess Database to try & keep it simple :rolleyes:

I have been using http://www.startvbdotnet.com/ado/msaccess.aspx however I cant insert a record into the Access DB :(

Yeah, its my fault due to being a noob with databases, its confusing because it mentions datasets and data sources:confused: , im just using an Acess Database to try & keep it simple :rolleyes:

Database = where your data lives
Dataset = something in memory on your machine, used by vb as a storage for data while working with it (if a database= a hard drive, a dataset = ram). Load data into the dataset from database. show it, edit it, use it, send it back if you want to. Put your own data in too (no leed to load from db before save to db)

Datasource = a source of data, typically a datatable, which is a member of a dataset. When talking with other developers please try to get this distinction right:

Datasets hold datatables, datatables hold datarows, datarows hold data
You fill a datatable, not a dataset.

I have been using http://www.startvbdotnet.com/ado/msaccess.aspx however I cant insert a record into the Access DB :(
nooo.. dont follow any tutorial that puts database opening code in a button.. it completely skips ove rthe little concept of "encapsulation" - button handler code is for buttony type things, and gui stuff, not for reams and reams of database connection management code..

Agree with cjard. This guy (or girl :rolleyes: ) has helped me out lots since I started learning to program, and is the best 62 year old programmer in the business :p

I've replied to your other post, I seriously suggest you learn about databases and how they work before considering looking at the front end.

Back