SRS hanging on first run...

Anti-Rich

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

ok, this is my issue with sql server reporting services 2005 (the one that comes with sql server express advanced)

When i start my computer for the first time in the day, and then i load my project and start the program, when i try to view the reports for the first time, SQL server reporting services hangs for quite a while... that is when i click the button to show the report the embedded web page control (included in vbexpress in the com components tab), simply hangs for AGES!!! i mean like 3 or 4 minutes! when it eventually does load the reports work just fine for the rest of the day (or until i restart the computer).

i checked the srs service at startup and the service thinks its started... and when i restart the srs service... again it takes AGES for it to restart...

has anyone else encountered this? does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

cheers in advance for any feedback

regards
adam

Last edited:
i oso face some problem like you. but i am using SQL server 2000. my memory usage become high when finish imported the data from Excel file. Total of data is 300000. The usage of memory will not drop eventhough it finish import the file until i restart my sql server or pc. Is it is the bug of SQL server?

Rgds,
Alvin

i dont think we are on the same track here... but i did check memory usage and it does seem pretty high (32mb on the physical memory and 89mb on the page file!) im not sure if that would be the issue though, because after the initial hanging the reports work perfectly... do your reports work perfectly after that initial hanging?

i have a feeling the reason your memory usage was so high was because you are retrieving 300k+ rows... thats a lot of data from an excel spreadsheet... have you ever thought of exporting the data to an sqlserver database? i think taht would solve your memory problem.

let me know your thoughts and cheers for the feedback.. lol nice to know im not alone! :p

have a good one
adam

u mean when u start your sql server or when u open your enterprise manager will get hanging? i hv write a importing data function from excel format to sql database. when i finish imported the data to sql database, my pc memory usage will up to 20mb. i try to redo a few time, my memory usage will become higher and highest. After i found this problem, i try to use enterprise manager to import the data from excel file. the problem is still same. The only way tat i dont try is export data from excel file to sql database. i want to try it, but i cant find the export function at microsoft excel. i think microsoft excel dont hv export function.

Nice to meet you.
Best Rgds,
Alvin

i think i miss understand your meaning. i never use sql reporting service b4. what is sql reporting service? is it this reporting service only have it in sql server 2005?

SQL reporting services is a service that controls various user created reports on a server. sorta like an sql server version of crystalreports.

there is a 2005 version, but im pretty sure there is a 2000 version as well :)

i like it, its a bit of a pain to get working but once it is i think its pretty powerful

u mean can create a report by using sql server 2005? 2000 version can create or not? now i am oso using crsytal report, but i am doing at vb.net

sort of. you dont create the reports using sql 2005, but you use a separate tool to create the reports (an add-in) via vs.net, and a network service manages the reports (which you can call through a report viewer or a url).

Back