Specified cast is not valid

newbjohny

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi, I am using VS.Net 2002 edition with the 1.1 framework both at University and at home (my home copy is from University using the University licence so I presume is exactly the same)

I have created a front-end application for SQLite (an open source DBMS) which creates databases for users with no SQL knowledge. I link to the DBMS using a .dll file.

When I fill a dataset with the contents of a table at University it works fine then goes onto fill a datagrid with this information. Yet when I run the same application at home I get a "Specified cast is not valid" error.

Not one thing changes to the application, the data in the table, the .dll file, everything is the same in the two instances yet one works and the other doesn't.

Does anyone know what is wrong, if I need to change a setting or install an update on my home PC or something?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have included my code and highlighted where the error shows up although I do not believe my code to be the problem as like I said it works on the University PC's.

Many thanks

John

Code for populating dataset and datagrid

VB.NET:
Private Sub cmbInsertData_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmbInsertData.SelectedIndexChanged
        Dim dset As DataSet '= New DataSet()
        If Len(cmbInsertData.SelectedItem) < 1 Then
            MessageBox.Show("Please choose a table to view")
        Else
            Try
                tblName = (cmbInsertData.Text)
                setTableName(tblName)
                dbConn.openExistingDatabse("Data Source=" & getDBName() & ";Version=3;New=False;Compress=True;")
                dbConn.createSQLCommand()
                Try
                    dset = dbConn.selectAll("SELECT * FROM " & tblName, tblName)
                Catch es As Exception
                    MessageBox.Show("error here -" & es.Message)
                End Try
                StoreDataSet.setDataSet(dset)
                DataGrid1.DataSource = dset.Tables(0).DefaultView
            Catch es As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(es.Message)
            End Try
        End If
    End Sub

VB.NET:
  Public Function selectAll(ByVal strSQL As String, ByVal tableName As String)
        Dim dset As DataSet = New DataSet()
        sqlite_cmd.CommandText = (strSQL)
        sqlite_datareader = sqlite_cmd.ExecuteReader()

Dim sqlite_dataAdapter As SQLiteDataAdapter = New SQLiteDataAdapter(strSQL, sqlite_conn)
        sqlite_commandBuilder = New SQLiteCommandBuilder(sqlite_dataAdapter)
        sqlite_dataAdapter.Fill(dset, tableName)
        Return dset
    End Function

Hi, I have now fixed this problem, my MDACs were not up to date, so once I updated these everything worked fine.

Thanks again.

John.

Back