Question [SOLVED] Button.Click Event inside a function

12aon

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I'm fairly new to programming and VB.NET and am still struggeling with the way things work every now and again. Most thing are easily found on the net, but some aren't.

Background:
I created a function that retrieves information on which checkboxes are checked. It returns an array which the information coupled to the checking of those checkboxes. Those checkboxes and the matching textboxes are dynamically created at runtime in that same function. I'm pausing the application to wait for a button to be pressed. I'm trying to find a way to use btnDone.Click event directly because the code always reloops my function once more recreating the controls.

VB.NET:
    Public Function GetArray(ByVal strDLFolder As String) As Array

If blnDone = False Then

Me.Show()

'Create controls here

Dim intNumber As Integer

Dim CheckedArray() As String
        'AddHandler btnSubDone.Click, AddressOf btnDoneClicked

intNumber = -1

Do Until (blnDone = True)
            Application.DoEvents()

Loop

ReDim CheckedArray(intArray)

For i = 0 To intArray

If ckbSubAdd(i).Checked = True Then

intNumber = intNumber + 1
                CheckedArray(intNumber) = strFullPath(i)

End If
        Next

VideoMover.Visible = True

blnDone = False

Return CheckedArray

Me.Close()

End Function

Public Sub btnSubDone_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubDone.Click

blnDone = True
        Me.Visible = False

End Sub
Right now I'm setting a create a boolean switch when btnSubDone is clicked. What I would like is for something along the lines of:
VB.NET:
        Do Until (btnSubDone.Click = True) 'The code is obviously wrong, It's meant to display what goes on in my mind

Application.DoEvents()

Loop

Is it possible to use events like this? If not is there a cleaner way for pausing the application to wait for a button click (one that doesn't run the entire function again)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Declare a Boolean variable on the Form's scope and set its state on the click event of the button. Later, on the loop you can check the status of this variable.
VB.NET:
    Dim btnSubDoneClicked As Boolean = False 'Delcare it on Form's scope.

Private Sub btnSubDone_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubDone.Click

btnSubDoneClicked = True

End Sub

Declare a Boolean variable on the Form's scope and set its state on the click event of the button. Later, on the loop you can check the status of this variable.
VB.NET:
    Dim btnSubDoneClicked As Boolean = False 'Delcare it on Form's scope.

Private Sub btnSubDone_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubDone.Click

btnSubDoneClicked = True

End Sub

Thank you it turned out to be a user problem. I had set a boolean value set at the biginning of the forms class (public property blnDone). I decided to check if the form was visibke as I set it to visible to false when the button was clicked.

As it turns out I called the function twice (I relocated the call earlier and forgot the delete it) which was causing the form to come up a second time.

Thanks for your time, I'll mark the thread n00b.. err I mean solved.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

Back