Slow startup

hex7c0

Programming Experience
10+
Hi All,

I have the following problem with 2005 VB.NET Express Edition:
When I open a previous project in the editor, it's incredible slow... It's a very small project, but the loading time is 25s !!! But the strange: if I close the editor, open again and load the same project is just 4-5 s...
Other problem: When I start the compiled exe, the same problem... I must wait seconds until my program starts...
I think the problem isn't with my hardver:
1.6 Celeron M, 768 Mb DDR II Ram, and I have more than 15 GB free place in my winchester.
I hope I can get a good answer to my questions ;-). Please help me ;-)

Best Regards
hex7c0

One thing I found very slowing on startup was the internet start page. To disable it go to Tools > Options, click "Show all settings" and see Environment > Startup. The default is "Show Start Page" which in my case I found best to be "Show empty environment". Also I see that 1.6 Celeron-M is the cheapest computer still sold on the market here today, so it is not the best computer either, you have to economize with the number of simultaneous open forms, especially in Designer View.

After the startup the environment is very fast, and I don't have any problem. So I'm sure the problem isn't with my computer... Actually it must be enough, for a "hello world" application ;-) (and not the cheapest, there is 1.4 Celeron-M too :p, and I'm sure this processor mustn't be slim for this exercise...). But, if I compile the code, and try to run, first time I have to wait too much time... And the compiled code's speed (as I think) is unattached from the startup of the evironment...

Has it always been like this...

I found that usnig visual studio on some dell machines creates a world of propblems and poor performance, not always at first but after a while VS seems to become unstable. I have had visual studio destroy two projects of mine for no apparent reason, the truth is VS has a lot of bugs(in my oppinion) but I find that a reinstall fixes some of these, well actually in my case it usually fixes them all... but does not awnser the question of why.
At my learning place some of the dell machines can take litteraly 5 minutes to load VS 2005, where as some have no probs at all, and whats more is that it doesnt seem to affect the same PC's everytime...
Reinstall is the only solution I have found to the poor performance of VS05

Try and reinstall .Net

if your compiled exe takes a long time to load outside of visual studio try reinstall the .NET framework...

I assume you have checked for spywayre & viruses ect ?
When was the last time you re installed windows ?
How long has VS been installed and does it get allot of use?

The fact that it takes that long to load VS initialy doesnt really suprise me considring your processer
But your exe should run smoothly.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it. All will be sorted out in the service pack we are due to get (hopefully) I'm running the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz with 2 gig of RAM and sometimes it still takes about 10 seconds to load Visual Studio. I haven't exerienced problems with my .exe's though.

qwazimoto: I have a Toshiba.I'd tested the compiled program on a different computer, and the same. When I first time try to run it's 10 or more seconds, but after run immediatly and smoothly... When I use the Editor is very fast!! Just the loading time is too big. It's a 4 month windows XP, I'm advanced in security, I use AVG, Ad-Aware and Sypbot. Regularly clean the temp files, registry, etc.
I just install the VS, and after the first time showed this delay.

Maybe the editor compiles the code when I open it?

The first time you run any .net assembly it is always going to be slower. The assemblies have to be loaded. Secondly any assembly run inside the IDE debug, or release configuration will be run in full debug mode so it will also affect the load time.

vis781: Thank you. It's clear now. But why I have to wait seconds when I open a project? And when I close the editor and open again, it's much faster... Is the same reason?

Most likely, Other factors would be what else you have running on your system in terms of services running in the background. VS is a really big program. That fact that it loads as quick as it does in a testament to good design. BTW most of these kinds of problems will disappear when Vista goes into full release.

When I don't use other programs, the speed is the same slow... (In the backgorund just the neccesary programs, and services are running.)
When I start the VS, it eats 16 Mb of memory and after loading a small project it's 36 Mb. It's not too much I think...

When I don't use other programs, the speed is the same slow... (In the backgorund just the neccesary programs, and services are running.)
When I start the VS, it eats 16 Mb of memory and after loading a small project it's 36 Mb. It's not too much I think...
At start I get 21MB for VS, loading a project go to 90MB. The numbers are quite different if you minimize the VS - about 3MB. This is how the Frameworks 'Garbage Collector' (GC) manages memory, the numbers you see are only allocations. Like the compiler technology is called Just-In-Time the .Net memory management could be called Just-In-Case, it's designed for managing the application resources for best performance in real-time. If the operating system is stressed and need to reaquire the the allocated resources those not currently used will be returned immediately, else they will just lie there ready for the best of the applications possible next moves. So don't worry at all about the memory use numbers you see, take it for granted the low level Framework memory management will do its job. Your 'slowdown' problem is not related to this.

Your 'slowdown' problem is not related to this.

Yeah, I guess that. It was just an answer to vis781:

Most likely, Other factors would be what else you have running on your system in terms of services running in the background. VS is a really big program. That fact that it loads as quick as it does in a testament to good design.

But anyway, thank you for your answer it was gainful!!

Back