Hi All,

This I am hoping will be simple I have the following code:

VB.NET:
Imports System.Data.OleDb
Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Partial Class _Default
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Public aos_code, aos_period, str_field As String

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

lblDetails.Text = Right(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name, Len(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name) - 8) + " :: " + HttpContext.Current.Server.MachineName + " :: " + Format(Now(), "dd/MM/yyyy h:mm")

If (aos_code <> "") And (aos_period <> "") Then
            MsgBox("Your aos_code is " & aos_code & "Your aos_period is " & aos_period)
        End If
    End Sub

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        ' Get SqlDataSource Select Parameters

Dim txt As New TextBox()

txt = CType(FindControl("TextBox1"), TextBox)

aos_code = txt.Text

txt = CType(FindControl("TextBox2"), TextBox)

aos_period = txt.Text

Dim sqldbconn As New Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
        Dim ds As New DataSet
        Dim da As New SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter
        Dim cmd As New SqlClient.SqlCommand

sqldbconn.ConnectionString = "Data Source=*********;Initial Catalog=******;Integrated Security=True"

cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM ****** WHERE aos_code = @aos_code AND aos_period = @aos_period"

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@aos_code", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = aos_code

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@aos_period", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = aos_period

Dim newSTR As Integer

newSTR = cmd.Parameters("str_field").Value

cmd.Connection = sqldbconn

da.SelectCommand = cmd

sqldbconn.Open()

'for testing
        MsgBox("Your aos_code is " & aos_code & "Your aos_period is " & aos_period & "Your str_field is " & newSTR)

da.Fill(ds)

sqldbconn.Close()
    End Sub
End Class

I've removed the connection string details but the error I am getting is:

An SqlParameter with ParameterName 'str_field' is not contained by this SqlParameterCollection.

I am getting two values that are given by the user, aos_code and aos_period,I then need the str_field. I can can pass the parameter ok, but the problem is I can't get a value back from the table the error occurs at this line:

VB.NET:
newSTR = cmd.Parameters("str_field").Value

I am very new to and have been trying now for hours, any one any ideas?...:confused:

So str_field is the field you're trying to retrieve? Why not just specify that in the commandText instead of pulling back all the fields and then grab it from the dataset? or perhaps use the ExecuteScalar method on the command object if you know there's only going to be one result?

yes thats correct str_field is what i need, i was thinking i had already selected just the row where the aos_code and aos_period equalled the values so thought I could somehow just select another column and write the value I wanted to a variable...

there will be only one occurance of what the user enters, so I could use this ExecuteScalar method but I have never used it before. I'm very new to this, so perhaps i am going about the whole situation from the wrong angle...

Tried again, I now don't get an error but get a value of 8, which is very random as I can't see where this value would be comming from, here's the code:

VB.NET:
Imports System.Data.OleDb
Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Partial Class _Default
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Public aos_code, aos_period, str_field As String

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

lblDetails.Text = Right(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name, Len(HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name) - 8) + " :: " + HttpContext.Current.Server.MachineName + " :: " + Format(Now(), "dd/MM/yyyy h:mm")

If (aos_code <> "") And (aos_period <> "") Then
            MsgBox("Your aos_code is " & aos_code & "Your aos_period is " & aos_period)
        End If
    End Sub

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        ' Get SqlDataSource Select Parameters

Dim txt As New TextBox()

txt = CType(FindControl("TextBox1"), TextBox)

aos_code = txt.Text

txt = CType(FindControl("TextBox2"), TextBox)

aos_period = txt.Text

Dim ds As New DataSet
        Dim da As New SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter

sqldbconn.ConnectionString = "Data Source=******;Initial Catalog=******;Integrated Security=True"

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM ******* (aos_code = @aos_code) AND (aos_period = @aos_period)"

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@aos_period", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = aos_period

Dim newSTR As New OleDbParameter("@str_field", Data.SqlDbType.Int)

Dim newSTR2 As Integer = newSTR.Value

da.SelectCommand = cmd

sqldbconn.Open()

da.Fill(ds)

'Dim newSTR As String = "text_data"

'for testing
        MsgBox("Your aos_code is " & aos_code & "Your aos_period is " & aos_period & "Your str_field is " & newSTR2)

sqldbconn.Close()
    End Sub
End Class

At a guess you have 8 fields per row, right? without testing it out, it looks like you're pulling the field count.

'personally' I'd use the following to get the result (assuming str_field is the record field you're after)... not sure why you'd need to use a dataset for pulling back a single field, although obviously if you start wanting to pull back multiple records then datatables and datasets become more useful.

BTW, i've not tested the below, it's just off the top of my head and I'd usually pass the parameters in the SQL string rather than use actual parameter objects, but I'm sure what you're doing is the recommended way of doing things.

VB.NET:

sqldbconn.ConnectionString = "Data Source=******;Initial Catalog=******;Integrated Security=True"

cmd.CommandText = "SELECT str_field FROM ******* (aos_code = @aos_code) AND (aos_period = @aos_period)"

Try
            sqldbconn.Open()

Dim strFieldVal as Integer = cmd.ExecuteScalar()

Dim newSTR As String = strFieldVal.toString()

'for testing
            MsgBox("Your aos_code is " & aos_code & "Your aos_period is " & aos_period & "Your str_field is " & newSTR )

Finally

sqldbconn.Close()

End Try

Back