Service.exe is not Uninstalled

smak

Programming Experience
1-3
Windows Service Application Deployment

1. Hello All!

I had 2 vb.net applications and their dependents ( few DLL's ) added to a SETUP Deployment project where one is Windows and other is service application. For clarity sake lets name windows app as windows.exe , service app as Service.exe and SETUP deployment as SETUP.exe

I added the Primary output of Service.exe to the all of the custom actions ( i.e Install,Roll,Commit,Uninstall ) to the .Net Deplyment project under Custom Actions to Install Service.exe upon successful installation and Remove ( i.e UnInstall ) Service.exe upon Successful Uninstallation from ADD/Remove Programs from Control Panel

Main Issue :

When I Run SETUP ( i.e Installation ) file i could able to Install the service. But When I unInstall the project from either ADD/Remove Programs at Control panel or from the SETUP.EXE, the Service.exe is not Uninstalled from the target system.

Sub issue :

All of my researches from the MSDN and google points to employ the method I have described above. But Still Uninstall DOESNT WORK.

Prior to creating SETUP.exe , i was installing and UnInstalling by InstallUtil. Installutill is good when you develop a project and test it but not for deployment. However, due to the frustration upon .NET deployment, i did even tried calling the InstallUtil from UnInstall Custom Action but nothing worked. Even then InstallUtil works only in Install Custom Action but not in UnInstall Custom Action.

May anyone shed light on this issue?

Last edited:
In the service project: view service.vb in Designer, right-click, select Installer. This'll create all the install/uninstall stuff that you need automatically.

Think this thread is pretty dead but just in case someone else looks this up here one day...

Back