Server Help

paulthepaddy

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi guys, this probably will need moved, i had a quick look through the topics and didn't see anywhere to place this question, i know this is completely off topic as this is a VB.Net forum, but im hoping someone here can give me some guidance.

I have a Dell Power Edge 2650 Server, got cheap and i don't need a powerful server, i am currently running windows Server 2008 on it. it is running MSSQL Server on it and it is also hosting IIS for a VERY basic website, just to note their will not be many people using the server 5 at most, hence the cheap & cheerful, and SQL server works as well as IIS.

I am looking it to run SMTP. but if i'm honest i don't really know what i'm doing. i am using one of the free domain names(no-ip.biz), i am wondering if some one could give me a step-by-step guide as to what i need to do.

it doesn't have to be detailed, you dont need to tell me to click on start menu, to go admin... bla bla bla.

my questions are kinda like, do i need to install and use DNS, should i be using the active directory, if someone could tell me what i need to do to get a email server working that can send and recieve emails from a personalised email as in @vbdotnetforums.com

thanks a million for any help in advance :D

Back