Serious error on all projects..length cannot be less than zero

peaveyyyy

Programming Experience
3-5
I had had this error start to pop up on all my website projects, all of which used to work fine.

Even my master page that I use for my website is throwing this error, on line 1!

repeat: this used to work! I changed nothing.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

this now says:

ASP.NET runtime error: length cannot be less than zero. parameter name: length

all my pages obviously have similar code at the top and it is all now failing.

also, my App_Code files are now failing to recognise things like TextBox's and FormView's, despite having imports like this:

Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls
Imports System.Web.UI

simple code like this (which used to work):

Public Shared Sub CopyOfficerTextBoxes(ByVal aFV As FormView, ByVal CheckBoxChecked As Boolean)
Dim box1 As TextBox
Dim box2 As TextBox

is now saying: "type 'TextBox' is not defined"

The only thing i can think of is that I tried to install the beta of VS2010, which refused to work then caused me no end of problems getting it off my PC

I have re-installed/repaired VS2008, apparently successfully. The problem does not go away.

Thoughts?

more discoveries

I have spent some more time investigating, and I have found that even if I start a new website in VS 2008, it is bugged straight out of the box.

There are 9 errors, starting with line 1!

note none of the code is mine, it's just what VS 2008 puts in a new we project by default:

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" Inherits="_Default" %>

This gives:

Error 18 Type 'System.Web.HttpApplication' is not defined. c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Basic Reusable Test Website\Default.aspx 1 1 http://localhost/Basic Reusable Test Website/

There is celarly something wrong with my VS 2008 installation, methinks. I have done a repair to no avail.

The only other thing I can think of is that localhost is not working, but I am not an expert on IIS

help. please?

at a guess, it sounds like you dll's are knackered. A re-install should fix that.
To be on the safe side, uninstall VS before you install it again.

Back