Send SMS

joannou

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi everyone,

Any idea how to send message from visual basic.net to cell phone? I am going to use bluetooth device or via cable. I know in vb6, it work. How about in .Net flatform?

Thanks in advance!

Is your plan to use your app to tell the phone to send an SMS? Or are you trying to send SMS directly?

The former is going to be wholly specific to the phone hardware you're trying to connect to, and the latter will only work if you either have access to a third party service that'll allow you to send SMS, or if you have hardware that'll accept a SIM card and some sort of API to control it.

You need an SMS gateway.... However! Did you think about using Google Voice? You might be able to bounce an email to your Google Voice account and use something like System.Webmail to manage it. (I'm guessing this is an ASPX app?) What's your strategy for receiving these messages? Or haven't we gotten that far? My best advice to you is to dump VB altogether and just run Google Voice via an email client like Thunderbird. That's what I did at my facility and it works like a charm! You can send and receive messages as if it were an email. Obviously, the number will be different than you main contact number. That is, unless you change your primary contact over to your Google Voice number......

So yeah. Describe what it is you are actually trying to do.......

Back