Selling my application online, features to allow customer purchase and then download.

Relative0

Programming Experience
1-3
Alright, I think I made a cool application, now I wonder about selling it. What I would like to do is be able to have someone be able to buy it.... But to do this programatically so for example allowing someone to purchase it, then have them be able to download it.... I guess this is my first question, that being how do I allow them to buy it and then to be able to automatically download it, (like some sort of download now button appears or something of the like). I know Paypal offers a free application to be able to pay me through paypal but then how do I get it so that they can download it? This is just an example, what I would like to find is some sort of application in VB.NET 2005 Express that would help me to automate this process.... Is there such a thing? I am open to all possabilities ranging from external 3rd party code to build some sort of system to do this, to some site that would do this for me.... Ofcourse with a fee, (hopefully small, as I am not selling this for much).
Furthermore, I would like to be able to somehow make an unique key for the person and then have this key unlock the code. So I could have some sort of splash screen where they would have to enter the correct key and then it would unlock the software. I know this is possible but I have no idea how to dynamically generate a key. Could I use a GUID? and somehow have this GUID stored in a database online so that if a person tried to just distribute it to a million people, the program would, after 30 days or so, would have to connect online and check for the GUID that was in the program? I know this is complex, (does it have to be?). Are there ANY ideas on this? Again 3rd party code, even if I have to purchase it, is useful, or any leads....

Any information would really really help on this as I am somewhat lost, and part of it is that I don't know what is available to me or the keywords on what to look for.

Thank you very much for any leads,

Brian

You want an online shop/ecommerce system that can handle downloadable products. There is a very good one called JShop, but it is probably overkill for you. Maybe something like osCommerce (I think that can do downloadable products).

Alternatively, you can write your own, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really need to integrate your own code for managing things. I'd definitely start with a prebuilt system and you can always write your own if you want to later.

Back