Question Scrolling List Of Images

VS Curtis

Programming Experience
10+
Hi All

I'm currently working on a Media Library/Player project.  My goal is to design an application that can replace iTunes.  I currently own an iPod but am not a fan of iTunes or Apple for that matter so my goal is to create an alternative application that can be used in place of iTunes.<br><br>The project is still in the early stages but I'm still pondering ideas for my user interface at this point.  I would like some suggestions on what would be possible ways to create a scrolling list of images.  The list would be of size 1 to x and each image represents and album cover.  The images would be retrieved from an SQL Server Database.  There will also be some basic stats show under the image such as total albums for that artist, total songs, total playing time.  <br><br>Any thoughts or ideas on the best approach to do this are appreciated.

It depends exactly what you mean by "scrolling". The obvious thing that comes to mind is a number of PictureBox controls in a container of some sort. The specifics would depend on exactly what behaviour you want.

If you want the app to have a high quality UI then I would strongly suggest that you look into using WPF rather Windows Forms.

The list would consist of an image for every artist in the database. The image would be an album cover image. Clicking on it would limit the scope of the visiable music information to that artist much like iTunes. My gripe with iTunes is over other issues not their interface, for the most part anyway.

The list would consist of an image for every artist in the database. The image would be an album cover image. Clicking on it would limit the scope of the visiable music information to that artist much like iTunes. My gripe with iTunes is over other issues not their interface, for the most part anyway.

That doesn't really help unfortunately. The sort of options I'm talking about are:

1. You could have a number of statically-located PictureBox controls and scrolling could mean moving an Image from one PictureBox to another in one direction or the other.
2. You could have a number of PictureBox controls that move in one direction or the other while containing the same Image. When a PictureBox exits out one end of the view port it could re-enter at the other end containing a different Image, giving the impression of an endless series of PictureBoxes.

The images are static in that they are stored in a field in the database, but the number of images in this list would depend on the number of artists in the database so it is not static.

The images are static in that they are stored in a field in the database, but the number of images in this list would depend on the number of artists in the database so it is not static.

That is still completely useless in determining what you actually mean by "scrolling".

I'm not sure what it is that I need to tell you that you don't already know. The interface will likely use a vertical splitter control. The left panel will contain a list of album cover images which are stored in the database. Some basic stats will also be show for each artist such as number of albums, number of songs, and total playing time. This panel should scroll up or down showing the next or previous artist not currently visible within the list. As an example, perhaps there are 600 artists in the database and maybe only 10 images and their related data are visible within the user interface area. As the user scrolls down the next items in this list become visible and if the user scrolls up the reverse is true. I'm not sure how I can be anymore clear.

Simplest scrolling is achieved by placing controls in a container control (Form, Panel etc) and enable AutoScroll.

Back