Scanning of IP on Lan

suleman

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm trying to develop a Lan messenger on vb.net.

Its working Procedure is as follow.

Messenger has no database and clients got static ip. I cannot get the ip of all clients from server.

Whenever a lan messenger is activated ( Messenger needs no username, as the Operating system loads and connects to the LAN, messenger will become active ) , it will try to find an active messenger on its neighbouring clients. If found , the newly arrived one will take all the ip of clients from neighbouring one. if found none, it means that no one else is connected to network.

any suggestions

looking forward,

Suleman

Maybe you could try this.
When a user starts the messenger it will send a broadcast message, other messengers will then be listening for this message and when they detect it they will connect.

Well the best way would be a server that the clients register with, but if you can't do that then I'd suggest looping through each IP in turn. As Levy says you could use a broadcast but personally I'd try to avoid that (if you have a lot of clients it would cause a large amout of network traffic).

TPM

Of course if your only going to have a handfull of clients broadcast would be a lot faster.

Back