Saving .exe Files

VBbeginner

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm trying to pull the .exe file from a VB.NET project I have finished. I want to send it to someone without them seeing the code, thus I do not want to send the entire project. I found the .exe file in the debug and release bin but can't figure a way to save it separately. Right clicking just allows me to copy, it etc. How do I save it separately?

Thanks!

If you send your buddy the exe from within the release folder, after doing a Build in the IDE, you will be fine, this is the EXE that is the lastest compile.

What your thinking about is sending him a Published version which would achieve much the same thing, but for a friendly small application is a bit of overkill.

From the toolbar you must select "Release" instead of "Debug" also if you have referenced any componets (dll's) you must include them with you executable.
Or you can make a setup project.

Yea, as Sapator says, exactly how you send the file will vary a bit based on the project type. When you do a Build the IDE generates the exe along with a copy of any necessary DLL's in your \Release\ folder.

If there are no .DLL files in there (be sure you have show hidden files, and show system files turned on) then the application needed no extra files to run.

From here, if you do have multiple files (the exe and dlls) zip them up for neatness and send them to your friend. Email, instant messenger, any of the various file sending menthods available today will work. Your buddy simple unzips the archive on his machine and runs the exe.

Provided he has the same version of the Framework as you (i.e. 1.1, 2.0) it should fire off just fine.

Sorry guys. I'm still missing a link someplace. Maybe we are talking about different parts of the IDE. Here's more detail. When I look under Solution Explorer after I've debugged my project, I see in the bin folder an .exe file. There's one in the debug folder and one in the Release folder. BUT, I can't find a way to actually move or save that file anyplace. I right click and don't get the proper option. There's no drop down that I see anyplace. So maybe my question is super basic, meaning what is the keystroke path to go from the .exe in the Solution Explorer and get it to my hard drive?

While we're at it, can I throw in one more basic question? (guess you've figured out ALL my questions are basic!) How come when I drag a label to my form I can't resize it with the handles that surround it, like I can a button?

Thanks again for hanging in there with me!

Your solution/project is saved somewhere on your hard disk, right?
Look in windows explorer for that location. The exe-file is simply located in the bin/release (or bin/debug) folder of your solution.

About the label: set Autosize property to false, now you can resize it.

Okay. Sorry to be a dunce, but it's HOW I send the file from within the release folder that I'm not getting.....

You need to know how to copy files in Windows Explorer? :eek:

A handy tip I use quite often, - I right click the tab any open file above the source code editor window, and choose "Open COntaining Folder" - this gets me an Explorer window pointing to where the file is.. I can then quickly nav to bin/release and copy the exe.

If youre still stuck, let us know..

BTW, if you actually want to be protective over your source code, you should not send the exe... tools such as .net reflector can get the source code from the exe no problem at all.

You need to protect your assembly using an obfuscator or something.

The most cost effective i have found is .net reactor from www.eziriz.com

Back