Saving and text parsing in .NET 3.5

mitster

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hey guys, Im new to VB and am working on a program for work using functionality to replace the use of hyperterminal and excel macros to dump data from a plc to a spreadsheet. I have the program setup and dumping the data to a rich text field, but this is about as far as my experience will let me go. So here are my questions:

1. Im wondering if it would be possible to use the text parsing method to sort the data into fields by first using a comma to delimit the fields and then tab (not sure how to put it as a character) to start a new line. this will then be displayed in a data grid view and later form there dumped to an excel file. i was also looking at the serial port functionality to see if it could parse too, what would be the best way to go about this?

2. I also need to be able to open more than one instance of my program and load connection settings into it (like what can be done with hyperterminal). Im wondering if it would be possible to use the save dialog to allow the user to save the settings to a file and open the settings file when launching any given instance?

Ive been surfing forums for this but cant find exactly what im looking for! Thanks for any help!

Back