Report Wizard - The report definition has not been specified

LuschMommy

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi Everyone. This is my first attempt at creating an SSRS report within VB, so please bear with me. I created a web form and put a Script Manager and Report Viewer on it. Then, under the Report Viewer Tasks, I designed a new (local) report called Report2.rdlc. Then, I came back to the Report Viewer Tasks and selected Report2.rdlc from the Choose Report dropdown. Then I ran the web form in debug mode and I received the following error message:

An error occurred during local report processing.
The report definition for report 'Report2' has not been specified
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I have been online for a couple of days trying every suggestion that I can find to correct this problem. In the ReportViewer's properties, I checked to make sure the ReportEmbededResources = Report2.rdlc. I even attempted to place code in Page_Load to set

rvReviewsByArea.LocalReport.ReportEmbeddedResource = "Report2.rdlc"
Is there a setting or step that I missed in creating this report? Do I need to do something with my Script Manager? I was hoping that using the Report Wizard would generate all of the necessary code for me. I'm still learning VB - and apparently, I have a loooong way to go.

Thank you for your help.

Wendy

Hi Everyone. I'm still working on this issue. I found out exactly where the problem is occurring, however, I don't know how to fix it. The ReportEmbeddedResources property cannot find Report2.rdlc. If I hardcode the LocalReport.ReportPath to be the physical location of my rdlc file (on my laptop), it runs perfectly. Unfortunately, that won't work once it's deployed to production. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the report viewer can't find my rdlc report or where I could look in my project to investigate where rdlc exists and where report viewer is looking? I've looked everywhere I can think of (and even did a search through the project), but everything appears to be correct. I just don't know what I could be missing.

Thank you again for your help.

Wendy

Hi Everyone. Just in case anyone else comes across this thread with a similar problem, I thought I would post my solution (or workaround). I set the ReportPath = the .rdlc file name. You just set it to the filename and not path + filename. That seemed to fix it for me, however, I am still in development mode and have not deployed the project yet. It remains to be seen if this will work in the production environment. I will update when I deploy. Good Luck!

Back