Report Design and integration

AchimW

Programming Experience
10+
I just started (well, I will once it works) using crystal reports in .NET.

I create sqldataadapters and a dataset. I have the 2 sqldataadapters fill the dataset and each adds a table.Then I add a component(CrystalReport) to my project. I used each of the three start-up options(blank report, existing report, wizard/expert) with the same results described below:I define the database by pointing to the dataset in the project. I select both tables from the dataset and add them to the report. Then, when I right-click any section/area of the report and select INSERT from the context menu the first option (FIELD...) is grayed-out, not available. How does one add fields/columns from a table and place them on the report?The wizard allows to select all fields from all tables but it just slams it onto the report and it's a big mess.I created a report layout with text fields, page number fields, boxes, etc. Now I want to add columns from the tables in my dataset to the report.Does anyone know how that can be done?I installed Crystal Reports from the VS2003 disk and the installation didn't give any errors. I can open and view the sample reports fine.

I wonder what one would need to do if he employes a report designer and a developer. Their joint task would be to design/layout a report and populate the dataset with the data to be reported.
Would that be possible with the Crystal Reports bundled with VS 2003?

Thanks for ides and suggestions.
Achim

Last edited:
To implement functional drill down report follow these steps

It was like pulling teeth, because I could not find these basic instructions anywhere. I hope this will help in case one experiences the same problem.

To implement a functional drill down report on the web follow these steps.

1) create the appropriate functioning report and
the {function to populate and return report}

2) place a CrystalReportViewer object on the webform
(example: CrystalReportViewer1)

3) Import at least these namespaces
Imports CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine
Imports CrystalDecisions.ReportSource
Imports CrystalDecisions.Web
Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared

4) Declare a class variable (to hold the report) like:
Dim report As CrystalReport1

5)call the code to populate the report from the Page_Init event handler, like
report = {function to populate and return report}

6) bind the report to the viewer control in the Page_Load event handler, like
CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = report

That's it. This will help you to get off the ground. Take it from there.

Back