remote deployment issue - please help!

jeni

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi there,
I'm having a problem deploying my web app to a remote server that I only have FTP access to. I can't create an .msi file as I wouldn't be able to run it on the remote server. I have tried FTPing the required files from a local project up to the server, but they create errors which seem to being trying to access filepaths on my own machine (i.e. in the trace there are references to C:\MyWebProj\etc).
When I try to create a new project that doesn't have localhost as a base, Studio refuses as it doesn't have access to the server/folders.
I am getting really confused!! How do I create and test a web app on my local machine, and then once it's working, FTP it up to my remote server for it to go live?!!
I realise I must be doing or missing something really stupid but I must admit it's got me stumped!:(
Could someone help me please?!

Thank you!

Solution

In case someone has the same problem - I found this handy tool - http://www.dotnetftp.com/ - to quickly grab the correct files from your VS.NET project and upload them by FTP to your hosting. I'm not sure exactly what I was doing wrong - but this fixed it!

J

ps..

obviously frontpage extensions may have been the way to go, but I hate them (and so does my hosting company!):D

Back