Question Read, Write, Copy, and Move Files on Another Computer on a Network

RSTC

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am a beginner Visual Basic programmer. I know how to open a file, save it to a variable, change the data in the variable, and then write that variable back to a file using the System.IO.Directory class. But I have large amounts of data on 17 computers all running Windows XP and all of which are connected to a network. I would like to write a VB program on one computer that will be able to read, write, copy, and move files to and from any of the other computers on the network. Are there VB functions for this and if so how do I use them?

One of the things you could do is share the folder that contains the files on each computer on the network, then have your app read/write the files via the folder share.

Thanks JuggaloBrotha. I didn't realize I could just use the StreamReader and StreamWriter functions, which I am familiar with, but then instead of beginning a file path with C\..., as I would on the local computer, I have to begin the file path with, for example, \\Dell_Desktop_01\C..., which first specifies a computer on the network. This works because, as you said about shared folders, I have set the C drive to be shared on the network. Thanks again.

Back