Question Random number in range is outside range

rosemary

Programming Experience
10+
I am using the following code in the Load method of a VB form to generate random numbers in the range 1 to 8. Without fail after enough loops the range is exceeded and 9 is the random number returned every time. The line using the Rnd function is from:

Rnd Function (Visual Basic)

Randomize()
Dim LoopCount As Integer = 0
Do
GoldButtonNumber = CInt(Int((8 * Rnd()) + 1))
LoopCount += 1
Loop Until GoldButtonNumber > 8

From the documentation it makes sense to me as the Rnd number generated could be less than, but very close to 1, which when multiplied by 8 will be very close to 8. It will be rounded up to 8 when converted to an integer and when 1 is added will be 9. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Rosemary

Don't use Rnd(). For random numbers use the Random class. If you want a random number in the range 1 to 8 then you just do this:
VB.NET:
myInteger = myRandom.Next(1, 9)

Here GoldButtonNumber can take a maximum value of 8 and this is an infinite loop.

RND() can equal to zero but always less than 1.

8 * Rnd() can equal to zero but always less than 8.

Int(8 * Rnd()) can equal to zero but alway less than or equal to 7.

Int((8 * Rnd()) + 1 can equal to zero but alway less than or equal to 8.

CInt(Int((8 * Rnd()) + 1)) will produce always the same result - This is just an extra CInt.

So Loop is Infinite....

Use 9 at the place of 8.

:) but now you final result will always a constant value ie. 9. after going out from the loop.

What exactly you want - Please let me know.

Don't use Rnd(). For random numbers use the Random class. If you want a random number in the range 1 to 8 then you just do this:
VB.NET:
myInteger = myRandom.Next(1, 9)

Thanks - however if you read the Random class to be safe one is recommended to override at least 2 methods which seems like overkill for a simple program such as I'm writing. Any idea why using the Rnd() function doesn't work - it is quoted in the MSDN and all over the web. Is there something I am missing?

Here GoldButtonNumber can take a maximum value of 8 and this is an infinite loop.

RND() can equal to zero but always less than 1.

8 * Rnd() can equal to zero but always less than 8.

Int(8 * Rnd()) can equal to zero but alway less than or equal to 7.

Int((8 * Rnd()) + 1 can equal to zero but alway less than or equal to 8.

CInt(Int((8 * Rnd()) + 1)) will produce always the same result - This is just an extra CInt.

So Loop is Infinite....

Use 9 at the place of 8.

:) but now you final result will always a constant value ie. 9. after going out from the loop.

What exactly you want - Please let me know.

I think you have missed the point - there is no infinite loop just a problem with the random number returned sometimes being outside the specified boundary. Thanks anyway.

Thanks - however if you read the Random class to be safe one is recommended to override at least 2 methods which seems like overkill for a simple program such as I'm writing. Any idea why using the Rnd() function doesn't work - it is quoted in the MSDN and all over the web. Is there something I am missing?
I have no idea what you mean. There's no overriding anything. You sinmply create a Random object and call Next. That's it. Why would you call Rnd and then have to shift and scale the result when Random.Next is simpler?

I think you have missed the point - there is no infinite loop just a problem with the random number returned sometimes being outside the specified boundary. Thanks anyway.

{Be hAppy}

This is infinite loop as per mathematics because RND() value can not be equal to one so the written can not bring 9 mathematically. Actually it should be infinite loop theoratically But practically its not because of computational limitation...

Let me explain

In following code you will never receive the message "Not Infinite Loop"
===========
Randomize()
Dim LoopCount As Integer = 0
Dim GoldButtonNumber As Integer = 0
Dim h As Double
Do
h = Rnd()
GoldButtonNumber = CInt(Int((8 * h) + 1))
LoopCount += 1
Loop Until GoldButtonNumber > 8
MsgBox("Not Infinite Loop")
===========
Just change the line

Dim h as Double
as
Dim h as Single

and now you will receive the message.

If you say

If 0.1 + 0.1 = 0.2 then
msgbox "Yes"