Question about .NET Compatibility

Silvatikus

Programming Experience
1-3
I am working on an application which should be able to run on a newly installed Windows XP - without .NET installed. The problem is, I don't know which language to use for it. I would prefer to do it in C#, as I have the most experience with it. However, I heard that C# applications require .NET in order to run. Is this true ? If yes, do VB .NET aplications also require .NET ? What language do you recommend ?

All managed languages (VB, C#, mC++, J#, JScript) requires the .Net library and runtime. Normally such apps are deployed with an installer that detects and installs prerequisites if needed. Only native C++ apps can run without any prerequisites or runtime. It is also possible to run lightweight tasks with a VBS or JS script or even a batch DOS script. With knowledge of C# it is easier for you to learn C++ because the syntax is not very different.

Thanks JohnH, but can you please tell me what's the difference between mC++ (the one you said requires the .NET library and runtime) and VC++ ? Also, what do you understand by "native C++" ?

mC++ is my abbrev for "managed C++", a C++ app that uses and is compiled for .Net. Native C++ is plain old C++ that does not use .Net, it compiles to native code that is executed directly by OS. VS distinguishes these by "CLR" projects and "Win32" projects.

Yes, you can do that.

Read post 4 again, ask in C++ forums.

Back