Publishing through VB.net Express Edition

flynny1st

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi All,

A quick question, but i've created an application i want to install on another computer using Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition. When i publish the file it creates the setup file, etc, ok.

When i install this onto my second machine it installs the files and just adds a shortcut on the start menu, to run the program.

Now it doesnt provide me with any way of choosing where to install the program too. Is it possible to change these settings in VB? as i cannot find them anywhere?

What i would like to do is simply install the files to a user defined location (i cannot simply copy the files over as i need to register a .NET DLL)

I also dont want the start menu shortcut.

ClickOnce doesn't give this option. Why do you need it?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Basically I have written a .NET program that is to work alongside another application.

When this main application is run it will look for any external programs in a defined location and launch them.

My add on program contains an executable and dll file. What i want to do is simply copy the files to a user defined location and register the dll.

I have tried copying across the files from the release folder, but this doesn't work. (Because the DLL isn't being registered.)

any ideas on how i can do this?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Basically I have written a .NET program that is to work alongside another application.

When this main application is run it will look for any external programs in a defined location and launch them.
The registry can be used as a coordinator.

Hi,

sorry, how would i use the registry as a coordinator (i'm new to this)?

The main program provides a function for launching my program (it reads a text file in its root directory which contains a path to the program to launch with it when it is executed.)

Hi,

Ok. I downloaded Visual Studio Installer 1.1 (for VB6) and created and installer adding the files to this. The installer works ok however, again , it has a problem registering the DLL.

i get the following error,

Error 1904. Module <dir to dll> failed to register. HRESULT -2147024769. Contact your support personnel.

Is this a problem with using a .net DLL in this installer?

Many Thanks Matt.

.Net class library dlls aren't registered, they just reside the same folder (local assemblies) as the app using them.

About the registry, maybe you can use Application.CommonAppDataRegistry key, let each app register its exe path here, then the launcher can search up the LocalMachine\Software path using My.Computer.Registry to find your registered apps and their launch path.

Back