Program will run on Vista, and Windows 7 but not XP Pro

abduncan

Programming Experience
Beginner
I've created a VB.NET program using 4.0 Framework that will run on Windows XP Home, Vista, and Windows 7. The client is trying to run it on a Windows XP Pro system. When double clicking the program, nothing happens. It doesn't execute. It doesn't show up in the Processes section in the Windows Task Manager.

The program requires administrative privileges, client is logged in as administrator. I'm using VS 2010 Express and have changed the target CPU to x86 to allow for functionality on 64-bit system. The program connects to an Access Database stored on the client computer using OLEDB and late-binds to MS Office.

It seems this may not even be a VB.Net issue but I don't know for sure. I have no idea where to even start looking to solve this.

I know the information is vague, but I don't know what to look for or provide. Whatever information you need, I will provide.

Please help me solve this, I'm baffled.

Could it be that the client doesn't have .NET Framework 4.0 installed? I thought it would pop up an error message if that was the case.

It should be easy enough to determine whether the client has .NET 4.0 installed. I agree that you'd expect an error if it wasn't though message though.

It might be worth your while to add some code to the Startup event to log a message so you know whether you're getting that far or not.

Back