Question Program standard font

nlobak

Programming Experience
Beginner
What is the standard font to use on forms?

The default font in vb.net is "Microsoft Sans Serif" size - 8.5, but it looks small, and users complaining on too small font.
When changing to size - 9 or bigger it looks not proffesional.
Also, I have tryed other fonts and they don't look standard.

What to do? :confused:

I have tryed Tahoma, but it still the same: in font 8.5 - too small, in font 9 or bigger - looks weird...

I use 18 to 20 on some touch screen apps, they look fine, why is this a problem?

When changing to size - 9 or bigger it looks not proffesional.
That's the problem apparently, it doesn't look professional.

What exactly defines an application as professional looking? I have to design my applications with bigger buttons because my PC settings have larger text by default, and it still looks 'professional'. It's all a matter of opinion.

I recommend using Courier New, size 8.5 if you don't want to use Sans Serif on size 8.5.

Professional application is one that uses always the standard.
I personally went after the most popular applications (Microsoft office) for the fill and look of my own application.
This way the users that are already used to standards will find my application user friendly and intuitive.

touch screen apps are a completely different issue of course...

I have to design my applications with bigger buttons because my PC settings have larger text by default

I'm building the application for the company I work in, and many different users with different PCs are going to use it...

So, anyways, I was hopping that maybe someone came across this problem like me and solved it somehow... I just want a bigger font that still looks like the standard.... but now as I write this, I'm guessing I contradict myself...

Back