Program for File Database, how/method selection for storing files.

geetar_king

Programming Experience
1-3
I would like to create a program that is an interface for users to store files in a database or folder system.

The user will basically be able to select a file on their hard drive, and enter some details or info about the file and then save it.

I thought about storing the files in a specific folder and then saving the file path/extension and these user entered details in an access database table. Then the program could display the database table and then the user could have an open file routine that would open the file from the saved path. I would prefer to NOT give the user the ability to be able to browse through their folder system to find these stored files.

Can anyone else recommend a different method or system to use for saving these files. Is there a database structure that would allow me to save files and string comments in a table? Or can I setup a protected file folder or server?

I would suggest using SQL Server with the FILESTREAM feature enabled for the instance. You can then simply treat the file data as a you would any varbinary column and the database itself will handle storage external to the MDF data file for you. You can store any other information you like in the same record, so you could create a virtual file system in the database if you wanted. You might start by reading about FILESTREAM in the SQL Server documentation. Note that it is supported in the free Express edition.

Back