Produce .exe in VB.NET

retkehing

Programming Experience
Beginner
Anyone knows how to generate .exe in VB.NET? Previously, I could produce it using a button called make project exe in VB 6 but I can't find a similar menu button in VB.NET.

once you've run the program at least once, in windows simply go to the Bin folder that's inside the actual project folder, the exe(s) and dll's are all in there, if you move or copy it (to give to people) be sure to copy all the other files in that folder too

Sorry if i sound too much rigorous but this statement is simply not true "be sure to copy all the other files in that folder too".
You suppose to copy (if u go without setup) only exe and dependencies if any and not i.e. .pdb file or .XML file/s produced by some components etc.
However, i'd recommend making of setup always when you want to install your app.

Regards ;)

lol i know, i know; i actually do the same thing, but if retkehing wrote a program for just himself/herself and a friend then a whole installer might not be needed, a simple zip file would suffice

Making an .exe file.

Mind if I jump in? I knew I had it somewhere. I am taking this info from book so I don't miss anything out? I just went out of this site to check it. It still works. ;)
If you look on the toolbar at the button you can use to start your program (Instead of F5) you'll see a box that contains the word, "Debug". This tells you that you are still working with the debug version of your prog. Click the little arrow to the right of that box and select "Release".
Now, in the Build menu drop-down list you'll see a command called Build MyProgram where MyProgram is the name of your current project. Click the Build MyProgram command and VB.NET changes your prog into an executable Windows app without the extra debugging info. To test this, get out of VB and then locate your program through usual path[ On mine, its through My Documents, Visual Studio....] and then in the 'bin' (As was mentioned earlier) you'll find it there.
Best o' luck!
;)

if i build my application in winXp,
can i still run my program in winME (without installing VS 2005)?
How?just by simply copying all the folder for the application?and move it to winME?

You could run your program on windows 95 if you want to. Thats the beauty of the JIT compiler it's platform specific, infact even more than that, it's processor specific!!

hadinatayp said:
if i build my application in winXp,
can i still run my program in winME (without installing VS 2005)?
How?just by simply copying all the folder for the application?and move it to winME?

the only thing that needs to be installed on a computer for a .net app to run is the .net framework, so all you've got to do is install the 2.0 framework and copy the exe to the computer

vis781 said:
You could run your program on windows 95 if you want to. Thats the beauty of the JIT compiler it's platform specific, infact even more than that, it's processor specific!!

actually you can't, the .net framework wont run on win95, it runs on win98 and higher

but yes, because of the JIT compiler you can develop a program in winXP and run it on win98 or win2000 even Linux and Mac OS provided the framework is installed (for linux the framework's equivalent is 'Mono')

Back