Question Problem setting file permissions

pricejt

Programming Experience
3-5
I am trying to move files into a folder and I want to grab the permissions of the parent directory that I am moving the files into and set those as the permissions for my files.

Here is my code. I get no errors but it doesn't seem to be getting the permissions. If any one has any ideas i would really appreciate it.

FileA is the current file that I am moving into MoveFile

VB.NET:
My.Computer.FileSystem.MoveFile(FileA, MoveFile)

Dim fs As FileSecurity = File.GetAccessControl(MoveFile)
                Dim ds As DirectorySecurity = Directory.GetAccessControl(FolderB)

Dim rules = ds.GetAccessRules(True, True, GetType(SecurityIdentifier))

For Each Rule As FileSystemAccessRule In rules
                    'Dim modifiedRule As FileSystemAccessRule = New FileSystemAccessRule(Rule.IdentityReference, FileSystemRights.Write Or FileSystemRights.DeleteSubdirectoriesAndFiles, InheritanceFlags.None, Rule.PropagationFlags, Rule.AccessControlType)
                    Dim modifiedRule As FileSystemAccessRule = New FileSystemAccessRule(Rule.IdentityReference, FileSystemRights.FullControl, InheritanceFlags.None, Rule.PropagationFlags, Rule.AccessControlType)

fs.AddAccessRule(modifiedRule)

Next

Your code modifes the FileSecurity object that you got from file with GetAccessControl method. Afterwards you have to apply the new settings to file with SetAccessControl method.

Latest posts

Back