Question Problem capturing screenshots as a windows service

willwork

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

Basically I have created a windows service using VB 2008 where I am trying to capture screenshots periodically.

The timer is working fine and I have tested this.

The purpose of the service is to monitor the desktop over night when the user is logged off, by capturing screenshots and saving them to file. This is so admin can be alarmed about security breaches etc.

The problem is is that I have not found a way to capture desktop screenshots as a windows service (or otherwise) while the windows logon screen is active (i.e: when the user locks the computer). I have used google extensively but to no avail!

Any help would me much appreciated!!

Change the way you plan your work

In esponse to your problem, I think what might be required is a change in the way you plan coding your application.

It goes without saying that it would be pointless to capture screen shots while nobody is logged on. Therefore you might try to adapt your code so that your service / application will only fire up the timer event for your screen capture function / process once the computer is logged on.

Once you are able to retrieve a User Name from the system you can fire up your screen capture timer event.

Hope this works for you..... ;)

A windows service by default doesn't have access to the desktop, and when the user isn't logged in there is "no" desktop for you to take a screen shot of ...

Back