Precompiled ASP.NET program

Xarzu

Programming Experience
Beginner
I was handed a "precompiled" asp.net app source code.
OK, how do I make this such that I can use and debug it?
How do I compile a precompiled app?

You can download a project template called a Web Deployment Project (WDP) (VS2008 version here), which enhances the build and deployment features of Visual Studio. This basically wraps features of aspnet_compile.exe, but allows you to do this visually as part of your overall solution.

Besides pre-compilation, it also allows you do a number of interesting things, like config file replacement (great for deploying to different environments) and setting how your assemblies are built (per-page, per-site, etc.).

Open the Book Review WSP in Visual Studio, go to the Build menu, and select the Publish Web Site menu option. This launches the Publish Web Site dialog box, where you can specify the target location, whether or not the precompiled site's user interface is updatable, and other compiler tool options. The target location can be a remote web server or FTP server, but for now choose a folder on your computer's hard drive. Because we want to precompile the site with an updatable user interface, leave the "Allow this precompiled site to be updatable" checkbox checked and click OK.

Back