Answered Only have .net client framework available, how do I change it?

sous2817

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello everyone,

On my work machine, I installed VS2010 VB Express and on my home machine, I've installed VS2010 Professional and I have the same issue on both machines, which leads me to believe it's something I'm doing wrong.

When I start a new project, the options for .NET are 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0. When I select 4.0 and go to add a reference, the header of the reference box says "Filtering for 4.0 client". There is no 3.5 Client or 4.0 client selectable in the drop down box when starting a new project. Also, there isn't an option to change .NET on the Project Properties -> Assemble screen when I right click on my project.

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know how to fix it so I can actually use the full .NET 4.0 reference library (I need the Microsoft Oracle Client .dll)?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the .NET 4.0 framework in the add / remove programs and I've uninstalled VS2010 using the utility found here (Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility - Home) with the /full /netfx options and reinstalling VS2010 but the end result is still the same. No 3.5 client or 4.0 client available in the selection when starting a new project but isfiltered for client when I go to add a reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

On my work machine, I installed VS2010 VB Express and on my home machine, I've installed VS2010 Professional and I have the same issue on both machines, which leads me to believe it's something I'm doing wrong.

When I start a new project, the options for .NET are 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0. When I select 4.0 and go to add a reference, the header of the reference box says "Filtering for 4.0 client". There is no 3.5 Client or 4.0 client selectable in the drop down box when starting a new project. Also, there isn't an option to change .NET on the Project Properties -> Assemble screen when I right click on my project.

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know how to fix it so I can actually use the full .NET 4.0 reference library (I need the Microsoft Oracle Client .dll)?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the .NET 4.0 framework in the add / remove programs and I've uninstalled VS2010 using the utility found here (Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility - Home) with the /full /netfx options and reinstalling VS2010 but the end result is still the same. No 3.5 client or 4.0 client available in the selection when starting a new project but isfiltered for client when I go to add a reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Boy this was frustrating, but I think I got it figured out with the instructions here:

How to: Target a Specific .NET Framework Version or Profile

had to go to Project -> Properties -> Compile -> Advanced Compile Options and set it there.

Back