Old VB.NET projects supported by VS 2012 Pro?

webdevguy

Programming Experience
10+
My first post!

I might have a new client that wants me to debug, fix, enhance and older vb.net app. (Not sure which version at this point.) I have Visual Studio 2012 pro.
  1. Are there any versions of VB.NET projects that VS2012 won't support? (i.e. too old)
  2. Can I make these code fixes/additions without "upgrading" anything? (the project, .net framework it uses, etc....) I just want to avoid potential issues, like needing to install later frameworks on clients machines, etc....

Thanks!

Any version of VS can open any solution/project created by that version or earlier, as long as the project type is supported by your edition. VS 2012 can open VS 2010 solutions/projects without making changes that will prevent opening it in the original version and VS 2013 can do so for VS 2010 and 2012 solutions projects. In all other cases, the upgrade process will make changes to the solution and project files that will prevent their being opened in the original version afterwards. The upgrade process can make a backup of the original but no changes can be round-tripped to the original version of VS. VS 2012 can support Framework versions from 2.0 to 4.5 and ASP.NET MVC versions from 3 I believe.

Back