Odd Character

awdigrigoli

Programming Experience
5-10
Hello,

A strange character is returned when Alt+NumPad1 is clicked in my VB.NET Windows Application.
Has anyone else come across this? If so could you help me understand why and/or how to stop it from happening?

Thank you,
Anthony

those are the font's ascii symbols, you can use the Character Map to view them for all the fonts you have Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map

and to disallow them in your apps just write a quick keypress routine so it wont allow any characters that you dont want like:

VB.NET:
Friend Const gstrValidChars As String = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'- ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

Friend Sub KeyPress(ByRef Sender As Object, ByRef e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs, ByVal AllowAllChars As Boolean)
		Dim TextBox As TextBox = CType(Sender, TextBox)
		Dim strLastChar As String
		'Handles all the name fields in the app
		If Asc(e.KeyChar) <> Keys.Back Then
			If AllowAllChars = False And InStr(gstrValidChars, e.KeyChar) = 0 Then
			    'If an invalid char is passed then its dropped
				e.Handled = True
			Else
			    If e.KeyChar.IsLetter(e.KeyChar) = True Then
				    TextBox.SelectedText = ""
				    If TextBox.TextLength <> 0 Then
					    strLastChar = Mid(TextBox.Text, TextBox.TextLength, 1)
					Else
					    strLastChar = "'"
					End If
				    If strLastChar = " " Or strLastChar = "-" Or strLastChar = "'" Then
					    TextBox.SelectedText = e.KeyChar.ToUpper(e.KeyChar)
					    e.Handled = True
					End If
				End If
			End If
		End If
	End Sub

to use this simply call it in the keypress event of the textbox you want it used in:
VB.NET:
Private Sub txtCustName_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles txtCustName.KeyPress
	Call KeyPressName(sender, e, False)
End Sub

glad to know it's working for ya (i've been using that sub that i wrote for almost a year now lol )

Back