New VS2010 installation : Studio constantly crashes on Win7 64-Bit

22-degrees

Programming Experience
1-3
I have recently newly installed both Win7 64-Bit and Visual Studio 2010.

When I click on a solution file to open it in VS, it seems to open fine.. but when I click on a form in the solution explorer and then click on the code window icon to view the code, it crashes with a very helpful message saying "Visual Studio 2010 has stopped working".

When I first installed vb2005 express a few years ago on a 64bit system, I recall there was a patch file that was needed in order to make vb work correctly. I have looked online for the same thing but cannot find anything now.

Is there a patch file that I am missing? Does anyone have any insight into why this might be happening?

For the record I have tried to reinstall VS but it did not help.

I speak from personal experience when I say that VS 2010 has no issue running on Windows 7 x64. There is a service pack 1 available for VS 2010 and you should definitely install that, along with any subsequent updates, but it should still basically work regardless. I would suggest reinstalling VS, applying SP1 (if it's not already included in your installer) and then using Windows Update to install any additional updates for Windows and VS, and then try again.

I think gremlins are afoot.. I made no changes to anything this morning when I switched on the machine and all seems to be working fine again.. :ambivalence:

Just learned about Edit and Continue woes for 64bit debugging though.. Kinda wishing I didn't get used to using it now :smile:

Back