New to VB..

maknib

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi guys, i'm new here and have decided to learn VB .net.. i think

i currently know html css jquery actionscript php and have been looking at vb or c#

alot of people on the net are saying that vb is useless now and to learn c# but i once used vb (vb3) when i was young and enjoyed it.

so i guess im looking for reassurance that it's worth looking into vb .net and not c#. is it still widy used? and lets say if i got good at it would there still be jobs even freelance in vb these days?

cheers

In short: vb.net and c# are so similar that the deciding difference is your preference. If you're more familiar with c/c++, java, php then learning c# (at first) would probably be easier, likewise if you come from a basic, qbasic, vb/vba background then learning vb.net (at first) would make sense.

However once you learn one, then learning the other becomes extremely easy. I come from a qbasic, vb6/vba background so I learned vb.net back in 2004 and the last few years here I've been doing as many c# projects as I do vb.net projects. Learning the Framework is key here, learn that and learning language syntax becomes easier.

Also, vb.net is here to stay just as much as c# is here to stay.

Back