.NET Framework 3.5 takes 456MB?????

FreeriderUK

Programming Experience
10+
I have used dotNetFx35setup.exe in my Setup.exe to install .NET Framework on XP without any Framework previously installed. (I'm not using ClickOnce)

This setup then goes to download and install FW 2.0 & FW 3.0 & FW 3.5 which takes 456MB of disk space on the users PC. (Vista isn't a problem as it only installs 3.5)

This seems like a ridiculous amount of space for what is basically an MS Access database frontend.

Does this sound right? Is there another setup for FW3.5 I should be using instead? I'm sure I don't need the entire thing!

Weird, my .Net 2.0 folder takes 100MB installed, .Net 3.0 12MB, and .Net 3.5 28MB. The installers are much smaller. Currently this amounts to around $13 worth of disk space. Not bad for the best class libraries available. .Net Framework is not an MS Access frontend, but you can use it to create one if you want to.

The full installers is larger though, you can use these to create CD installers that can be used to install .Net without users need to use internet. Otherwise you should be using the .Net prerequisites from "vendor location" which is MS (=internet) for both ClickOnce and Msi setup projects.

This seems like a ridiculous amount of space for what is basically an MS Access database frontend.

.Net Framework is not an MS Access frontend,

I should rephrase:

This seems like a ridiculous amount of space (to get my app to run) - which is basically an MS Access database frontend.

I didn't even want to use FW 3.5 but the project was saved using it, and as far as I can work out, there's no easy way of going back to 3.0 (not that it would save much space anyway)

I am running the dotNetFx35setup.exe from a script, so maybe there's a switch to do a minimum install?...

Back