Need To View "PDF" Files In Windows Application

Tyecom

Programming Experience
Beginner
Is there a way to view "PDF" files in a Windows Form, using VB.Net 2005? I know I can launch Adobe Reader from within a form by using:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start _
("c:\maps\")

However, this only executes Adode Readers' exe file and start the application in a separate window. I want to be able to display PDF files "within" my application.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

If you have Adobe PDF Reader installed you can also add an ActiveX COM control of this to your toolbox, then like other controls add it to a form. The LoadFile method can load a document.

Hi John,

Can you please explain how to add the ActiveX Control to my toolbox and where can I find it. Thanks in advance

Use the context menu on toolbox and select "choose items", find it in COM page of the toolbox item chooser dialog.

I now how Adobe ActiveX as a selection on the Toobox menue. When I double click the selection, a PDF Adobe icon is shown on my form. Can someone tell me what to do next? Thanks in advance.

Hi John,

I'm sorry for being a Air-Head and a Newbie. But do I put this code behind a button or what?

You can add the web browser control to your form and navigate to the PDF that way the latest Acrobat version installed will always be used.

You can add the web browser control to your form and navigate to the PDF that way the latest Acrobat version installed will always be used.
...if the user has a compatible PDF viewer installed. Well, who hasn't got Adobe installed these days?

Back