Need Some Advise With Becoming A Programmer??? Please Help

Carlosfsmith

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi all sorry to bother you, I really want to start a new carrer in computers, i have done for a while now, i've ben looking at programming courses ect online but not clear what it is ill be doing and what sort of job you cold get with the certificate ect, ive downloaded vb express and have been doing some step by step learning free online, i just want to know if i wanted to become a progammer what first steps do i need to make? and how do i go about it ect, i hoe someoe on here can help with some useful advise, hope to hear back from someoe, Thanks for your time reading this Carl

Hello

As far as what sort of job you can get with the certificate, that all depends on the certificate and how much of what type they teach you. There are all sorts of jobs you can get in the programming field, some of the top ones are Database Programming, Gaming, Help Desk. It all depends on what you might be interested in. If I were you I would decide what you might want to do, IE Research Computer Jobs on Google and then find out what you might need to achieve that goal.

Personaly I just loved programming so wasn't realy bothered what I did so I took a HND Programming course (2 years) and then started of Contracting out as a Database programmer and worked my way up to Senior Systems Analyst before being medicaly retired.

Another way to become a programmer is to become a trainee at a large company and work yourself up, but beware of software houses that put a price tag on training you as it may seem great at the time but the price can be too high in the end ( I know some who did this ).

Good Luck

Thank you for your response. Gaming sounds interesting. I will google what qualifications you need for it. Is their a all round course I could do that is relevent for all programming jobs? Looking online the MCAD was coming up as a good starting one but not sure. I just don't want to get ripped off online. And need advise from people that know what route to take! I take it the trainee for a big company would not be very good money which I couldn't do. I would need to do something around My current job as I'm in hotels quite often. What would you recommend I do? Thanks for your help. Carl

To be perfectly honest if you want to be doing this from home either online or home study I would recomend the Open University, they have a huge array courses to suite your needs and even have people on hand to advise you about which course you might want to do. As an added bonus if you are on a low enough income you can get it for free, (not sure what counts as low these days). As far as the trainee pos, yes these are always quite low paid. Click here for the OU.

Good Luck

I think looking online I want to learn c++ first. Is it best to do it through visual studio? On I need a different complier? Also would like a book on learning the language. Do you recommend any? Cheers Carl

I think looking online I want to learn c++ first. Is it best to do it through visual studio? On I need a different complier? Also would like a book on learning the language. Do you recommend any? Cheers Carl

C++ is the best language to start with as it is a very verstile language and you will find that some other languages are based on C/C++, I would stick with Visual Studio as it is Free if you get the Express edition and it is one a lot of people including companies use. A Book on the language is always a good idea. I have usualy bought a book on the language and syntax if I am learning a new language but for someone new to programming I would say something like C++ in 30 days or whatever it is called. This should give you a good grounding in programming. There are also a lot of web sites that can help you if you are willing to have a search.

Regards

C++ is the best language to start with as it is a very verstile language and you will find that some other languages are based on C/C++, I would stick with Visual Studio as it is Free if you get the Express edition and it is one a lot of people including companies use. A Book on the language is always a good idea. I have usualy bought a book on the language and syntax if I am learning a new language but for someone new to programming I would say something like C++ in 30 days or whatever it is called. This should give you a good grounding in programming. There are also a lot of web sites that can help you if you are willing to have a search.

Regards

Thank you for your help. I will give it ago. Ill let you know how I get on. Thanks again . Carl

Back