Need help!!

Mr P

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

I'm new to windows services. I've been playing around with some code and it seems to be fairly simple to use.

What I am trying to achieve is not happening...

Basically, I need a service to monitor a directory for a specific file and then FTP the file to another directory on another network.

Is it possible to have a config file to hold directory paths so that the client can change these paths?
Also, can we write to a log file?

I've been using InstallUtil to install the service instead of WindowsInstaller as WindowsInstaller was not working for me - would there be problem installing this service on client machine?

Last question...does the client need to install the .net framework on their machine (Windows 2003)...I know XP and 2000 you need to??

Thanks

Mr P.

ok, lets go through these one at a time.

To watch a directory (local computer or part of Windows Network?) look at the FileSystemWatcher.

FTP - this is not really easy in .NET 1.0 or 1.1. I would recommend looking at the component from http://www.enterprisedt.com/.

Config files are perfect for holding the path(s) look at the System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings namespace.

InstallUtil is the correct way to Install a Windows Service. It works the same on a client machine as long as the framework is installed.

I thought that I heard that Windows 2003 comes with the framework installed already, but if this is not the case then Yes they must install the framework.

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your help. I managed to get it working in a windows application but I'm having trouble executing a shell command in windows services.

any ideas...

Mr P

Back