Question Need Help with some Advanced Programming

RandomlyKnighted

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am still a beginner programmer so keep in mind that what I'm trying to do is beyond my knowledge but I have no one to teach me Visual Basic except from what little I can learn off of the internet. Currently, I am using Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition so my problem may be appear different if I show you any of my code.

I've created a program that contains a label and the words in the label form a question. Below that is a textbox with some text that has to be memorize for a play. Just think of the question as the previous speakers part. So far I've set it so that the words in the textbox are randomly removed and are replaced with a blank. This helps to make sure the user has memorize his/her part. However, the problem I face with the program is that the user can't enter the answer because the blank is in the way.

Instead of putting a blank where the missing word is I would like to have some textboxes put there that way the user can enter the missing word and so that I can later insert some code that will let the user check to see if the answer they entered is correct. Can anyone help me with do this? Right now the missing word is still replaced by the blank so I need to get rid of that and insert the textbox wherever the words are missing.

Instead of replacing the word(s) with space(s), could you not replace them with underscores?

For example :-

VB.NET:
The cat sat on the mat

VB.NET:
The ___ sat on the ___

I think this is also easier to read than

VB.NET:
The   sat on the

Underscores

Right now it does have underscores. That is the blanks that I mentioned before. However, when you run the program and you enter the answer it will put what you type between the underscores.

The reason I suggested putting a textbox with another textbox was this would allow the program to check the user's answer as well as allow a more user-friendly program.

Back