Need help with program for small business

Zach1188

Programming Experience
1-3
My sister owns a small business, and (as a cashier) she is currently using hand written invoices for receipts and records. She knows I have some basic programming knowledge, and would like me to make her a program that would make it easier on her. Ultimately, it's going to log sales, and anything else to make taxes easier on her, which she is also doing manually at this time.

That will probably be a few weeks from now, for now what I want is to be able to have a Category, Subcategory, and Product system using ListView boxes. Ie. In the first ListView will be general categories, ie "food". Under the category "food", there will be the subcategories "pizza", "fish", and "pasta". Under the subcategory fish, there will be the products "salmon", "trout", and "cod". The user can highlight cod, click "add item" twice. The first time adding it to the receipt ListView box with a quantity of 1, the second time changing the quantity to 2.

Now the idea here is to make the contents of the ListView boxes depend on the selection in the preceding ListView box. If the user chose the Pizza subcategory, he would have the products "cheese", "pepperoni", and "mushrooms" in the product list box. If he chose "beverages" on the first ListBox (general category), he would get different choices entirely.

Of course these are not the items being sold, but they serve as good examples. I have a decent start on the program but have run into a few roadblocks. In each ListBox, there will be an "Add *" selection (activated by double click), which * will be the ListView it in. For example, they could go to the food category, double click the "Add Subcategory to food category" list item, bringing up a dialog asking for the subcategory name. They could then, in that subcategory, double click an "Add product to * subcategory" list item, bringing up a dialog asking for the item name, price, and flags such as taxability (some things such as services are non taxable). In addition, I want the user to be able to double click an existing item, removing it from the list.

I have a good start on the program, the interface is mostly done. My next step is to create some form of database to store the categories, subcategories, and products she adds. I could probably get it to work in runtime, but it would be a shame to have to redo it every time she restarts the program :eek: But this is where the roadblock is. I don't know what to do at this point, I've spent hours on Google before coming to this site. I will include the source so you can see where I'm at, at the moment.

Attachments

• FP Prog.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
I created a general Point of Sale (POS) software in VB6 which was designed for Video Rental stores however it is currently used in production in Restaurants similar to your example.

In my POS application I allowed unlimited levels (theoretically) of ListView items which were configurable through XML files. The XML files were loaded into Collections of objects that drew the screen and performed the calculation appropriately depending on how the configuration was setup. A slightly different twist on the configuration is to make it RMDB based which allows more efficient queries which will then allow real-time updates from a "Management" application or instance. Just a thought. I just figure that if you are having difficulty with one solution find a simple and fast alternative path to get where you need to go. I would be willing to review source if you are interested in my help.

Back