Question Need Help With dbo.Table.Sql

inkedgfx

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am new to database creation...and when I say new I mean 2 days into it new.
I am writing a program to store customer info for a invoice program...kind of like a customer management system...my question is when I add a new database then create a new table and create the fields then save the dbo.table.sql , visual studio 2012 askes me where to save the file.....i dont know where to save it..and when I do save it...it doesnt show in the mdf ....I click refresh and the table i just created and saved doesnt show in the table list...?

what gives?

any help is appreciated

InkedGFX

Not that you would know, because you haven't used earlier versions, but things have changed a little in this regard in SQL Server 2012. Previously, when you created a new table or edited an existing one, all that was displayed was the designer grid and, when you clicked Save, the table you had designed was saved to the database. Now, you are presented with the designer grid AND the script window. When you click Save, what happens is it saves the contents of the script window to a SQL file. It doesn't affect that database itself at all. Rather, there is now an Update Database button that you must click in order to actually update the database with the new table schema.

I think the reason for the change is so that you can design a table and then save it to a script for execution elsewhere without having to actually modify the database. Previously, you had to save the table first and then generate a script from that.

Back