Multiple Controls, best practice

lostcontrol

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,
The current application I am working on is a step-based system, with 48x steps, 2x fields per step. The method I have used for entering the data is a standard text box.
All is working ok & as expected, but there is noticable delays when opening the forms with the text input fields.
When I say delay, is only 2-3 sec, but I think it should be better performing than this.

Another option I have just thought of, is to use a Data set viewer, that the fields required to be edited are either selected or tabbed through.
This would be less taxing I think, but changes the feel of the application compared to the rest.

It doesn't take 2-3 seconds to open a form with a couple of TextBoxes on it. There's a lot that you're not telling us. We need all the relevant information if we're going to help with the problem.

Hi,
There are 96x text box's on the form, each with an associated 'click' sub that opens a numerical entry popup.
This is for a touchscreen, so the buttons etc need to be large enough to accommodate large fingers.

I didn't realise that the controls for all 48 steps were on the form at the same time. The fact that you call them "steps" suggests that they must be carried out in a particular order. Is that the case? If so, would it be practical to not display all the controls from the start? You could perhaps just use two TextBoxes for the entire process but use them as input for a one step at a time. Alternatively, you could only display the TextBoxes for the first step initially and then create and display the TextBoxes for the next step as the previous one is completed?

The steps are for a recipe setup. Each step has a Subroutine it can call, with the no of repeats of the subroutine as the second entry.
There are also 48x subroutines possible, each with 2x entries. So another 96x text box's.
If so, would it be practical to not display all the controls from the start? You could perhaps just use two TextBoxes for the entire process but use them as input for a one step at a time.

This is an option I will explore, even breaking it down into 12x steps at a time. I could then have a button that toggles the visibility of 13-24, 25-36, 37-48 ? You think this would make it faster?

Alternatively, you could only display the TextBoxes for the first step initially and then create and display the TextBoxes for the next step as the previous one is completed?
Similar to above, but perhaps more efficient? How would I go about doing this?

The issue with using the datagrid view is that is limited in how it can be displayed (from what I have dabbled with).
The ideal solution is a single entry, that the user selects the Step/Repeats & Sub 1/2 etc, but it is useful to see all of the steps/subs on one screen too.

Back